Last night, as President Obama and Governor Romney battled it out over domestic issues in the second of three debates Ethan Strimling live blogged his reaction to the debate and both candidates. His posts and final thoughts below.
Final Thoughts: My analogy to the Rumble in the Jungle appears to be playing out. Obama rope-a-doped the first debate and got pummeled. This second debate, he came off the ropes and started winning more than he was losing. In the third round, Monday night, watch for the knockout punches. In specific regarding last night, here’s my scorecard.
- On content in general, I would say they were a tie. (1 point Romney, 1 point Obama)
- On presentation/likeability, Obama won hands down. (1 point Obama)
- On mistakes, Romney had many more so Obama won. (1 point Obama)
- On women’s issues, Obama won easily. (1 point Obama)
- On the economy, Romney won based on his answers to the taxes question and his response to the man who said he voted for Obama in 2008. (1 point Romney)
- On Libya, Obama crushed it. (1 point Obama)
- On guns, they were both pathetic and neither gets credit. (No points)
- On closing comments, Obama knocked out of the park. (1 point Obama)
So, all in all, I score it Obama 6, Romney 2. That sounds like more of a landslide than I think it was, but that’s because some of the Obama wins were pretty close.